Jargon Buster

Age Weighted Pupil Unit(AWPU)
THE AWPU is the amount of money that every maintained school receives for each pupil that is on the school roll, whether or not they have SEND. The value of the AWPU varies from one local authority to another and according to the age of the pupils. 
Advisory TeacherA specialist teacher employed by the local authority to give advice.
Annual ReviewUnder the Children and Families Act 2014 Local Authorities must carry out a review of every Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) at least once every 12 months and 6 monthly for children under 5 years old.
Attainment TargetThe knowledge, skills and understanding which pupils of different abilities and ages are expected to have by the end of each National Curriculum Key Stage.
Children andFamilies Act2014
This law came into force on 1st  September 2014. Part 3 of the Act sets out the new law on special educational needs and disability. The Act is supported by the SEND Regulations 2014 and the SEND Code of Practice: 0-25 Years. 
ClinicalCommissioningGroup (CCG)
CCGs are groups of professionals that work together to commission health services, ensuring there is sufficient capacity contracted to deliver the necessary services to people.
Direct PaymentA payment made directly to a parent/carer or young person to purchase specific services. Under the Children and Families Act 2014 a Direct Payment may be made as part of a Personal Budget so that the parent/carer or young person can buy certain services that are specified in their EHC plan. Direct payments can only be used for provision provided on the school or college premises if the school or college agree.
Local authorities must provide independent disagreement resolution to help the parent/carers and young people resolve disputes with local authorities, schools and other settings about SEND duties and provision You can find more information on disagreement resolution in the SEND Code of Practice 11.6 to 11.10.
EducationFundingAgency (EFA)
The EFA is the government agency that funds education for learners between the ages of 3 and 19, and those with learning difficulties and disabilities between the ages of 3 and 25. The EFA allocates funds to local authorities, which then provide the funding for maintained schools. The EFA directly funds academies and free schools.
This professional will observe a child/young person, probably in school/educational setting and assess their learning and emotional needs. They will advise on the best approaches and provisions to support learning and development.
EducationHealth CareNeedsAssessment(EHCNA)
The assessment is a detailed look at the special educational needs that the child/young person has and what help he or she may need in order to learn. It is sometimes called a Statutory Assessment.You can find out more in the SEND Code of Practice9.45 to 9.52.
EducationHealth and CarePlan (EHCP)
An EHC plan describes the special educational needs that a child/young person has and the help that they will be given to meet them. It also includes the health and care provision that is needed. It is a legal document written by the local authority and is used for children/young people who have high support needs.
First TierTribunal (SENand Disability)
The First Tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability) is a legal body. The Tribunal hears appeals from parents/carers of children and young people with SEND, about EHC needs assessment and EHC plans. 
The SEND Code of Practice says that schools shouldfollow a Graduated Approach when providing SENDSupport. This is based on a cycle of:AssessPlanDoReviewYou can find out more about the graduated approach in the SEND code of Practice 6.44 to 6.56.
KeyworkerSomeone who provides children/young people and parent/carers with a single point of contact to help make sure the support they receive is coordinated. A keyworker could be provided directly by a local authority or local health organisation, a school or college, or from a voluntary or private sector body.
Local authorities are administrative offices that provide services with their local areas. There are 152 education authorities. 
Local OfferThe Local Offer, published by every local authority, tells you what support is available for children/young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities, and their families. It includes information about education, health and care provision. It also gives information about training, employment and independent living for young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
This is a school that provides education for all children/young people, whether or not they have special educational needs or disabilities.
MediationMediation is a type of disagreement resolution. Every local authority must provide independent mediation to help parent/carers and young people resolve disputes with local authorities about:a decision not to carry out an EHC needs assessmenta decision not to draw up an EHC planthe content of a final EHC plan or amended plana decision not to amend an EHC plana decision to cease to maintain an EHC planMediation must also be provided on the health and social care elements of an EHC plan. You can find more information on mediation in the SEND Code of Practice 11.13 to 11.38.
The purpose of mediation advice is to give information about what mediation involves. Parents/carers or young people who wish to register an appeal with the First Tier Tribunal (SEND) must first seek mediation advice. The advice must be factual and unbiased. After mediation advice has been given the parent/carers or young person can choose whether they wish to go to mediation.
MustThe SEND Code of Practice says in Section I of theIntroduction:…where the text uses the word ‘must’ it refers to astatutory requirement under primary legislation, regulations or case law.This means that wherever the term ‘must’ is used all the organisations listed in Section iv of the Introduction to the Code have a legal duty to do what the Code says.
OutcomeSection 9.66 of the SEND Code of Practice says: An outcome can be defined as the benefit or difference made to an individual as a result of an intervention. It should be personal and not expressed from a service perspective; it should be something that those involved have control and influence over, and while it does not always have to be formal or accredited, it should be specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time bound (SMART).When an outcome is focused on education or training, it will describe what the expected benefit will be to the individual as a result of the education or training intervention provided.
Parent CarerForum
A Parent Carer Forum is a representative local group of parents and carers of disabled children who work with local authorities, education, health and other providers to make sure the services they plan and deliver meet the needs of disabled children and families. They have been established in most local authority areas. 
A Personal Budget is money set aside to fund support as part of an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC plan) for a child/young person with special educational needs. It can include funds from Education, Health and Social Care. Parents/carers or children/young people with an EHC plan can request a Personal Budget for specific provision linked toEHC plan. The request will be considered by the LA SEND Support Team.
Reasonable adjustments are changes schools and other settings are required to make to enable full access to the curriculum and school life. These could include: changes to physical features, additional equipment or providing additional support.
Schools ForumEvery local authority has a Schools Forum. It is made up of representatives from schools and academies, and some representation from other bodies, such as nursery and 14-19 education providers. The role of the Schools Forum includes looking at the local formula used to fund schools and SEND provision.
All schools must publish on their websites information about their policy and arrangements for supporting children/young people with SEND. This must be kept up to date. The information that has to be included can be found in Section 6.79 of the SEND Code of Practice.
SEND SupportSEND support includes any help for children/ young people with SEND that is additional to or different from the support generally made for other children of the same age. The purpose of SEND support is to help children/young people achieve the outcomes or learning objectives that have been set for them by the school. Schools should involve parents/carers in this process. SEND support replaces Early Years Action/Action Plus and School Action/Action Plus.
SEND Pathfinders were set up in 2011 to test out the reforms the Government were proposing to introduce as part of the Children and Families Act 2014. You can find more information about the SEND Pathfinders at www.sendpathfinder.co.uk
SEND SupportTeam
This is the team that receives the EHC Needs Assessment requests, processes them, makes the decisions on outcomes and writes the EHC plans.
Should ‘Should’ is a word that occurs frequently in the SEND Code of Practice. Section I of the Introduction to the Code says:…where the text uses the word ‘should’ it meansthat the guidance contained in this Code must beconsidered and that those who must have regard toit will be expected to explain any departure from it.This means that wherever the term ‘should’ is used all the organisations listed in Section iv of the Introduction to the Code, must consider what the Code says. However, they may depart from it.
SignpostingSometimes a service that provides information, advice and support may be asked for help that it is not able to give directly.When this happens the person seeking information, advice or support may be signposted to other service providers. This means that they will be given information, including contact details, about other sources of help.
A SENCO is a qualified teacher in a school or maintained nursery school who has responsibility for coordinating SEND provision. Early years settings that are part of group provision arrangements are expected to identify an individual to perform the role of SENCO.
Statutory guidance is guidance that local authorities and other local bodies have a legal duty to follow.