Support for Young People

Amazing Things Happen – An Introduction to understanding Autism

Under new Government laws (Children and Families Act 2014), young people aged 16-25 have increased rights when it comes to making decisions about their lives.

Once you are over 16, the law sees you as a “young person”. You will have the right to make your own decisions about the support you need. This includes:

  • the right to appeal to a tribunal about the support you get, and the educational placement named in your plan.
  • the right to apply for an Education Health and Care EHC plan (once you are over 16, your parents need your written consent to apply for an EHC plan on your behalf)
  • the right to control a personal budget (this is a budget set out for you to support your education. This is different to a social care personal budget).
  • the right to decide where you want to be educated including 6th forms, colleges, alternative provisions, apprenticeships and training institutions.
  • What help can we give

    • we will help you to understand your rights, decide what is important to you, and help you understand what is going on.

    • we can attend meetings with you and support you through this meeting.

    • we will treat all the information you give us as confidential, unless you ask us to share the information with someone, or if we feel that information you shared might put you or someone else in danger.

    • if we are not the right people to advise you, we can help you find the right person/organisation to give you support.

    • Our job is to help you understand your rights, and to make sure you feel everyone who works with you, is supporting you in the best way possible.

    • You can get in contact with us by calling 01582 548156 or e-mailing [email protected]

  • We can help you!

    Please take a look at the Children and Young Peoples information advice and support service network website which we hope you find informative and entertaining!  It contains a lot of information about how our service can offer you support and guidance, so you can be involved and heard, every step of the way!

  • Young Carers

    Some useful links below offering advice and support for young carers.

    Luton – Young Carers

    Carers Trust


  • Health Advice

    You have rights when making decisions and choices about your healthcare. This Get your rights website contains information on how to use the NHS and take control of the decisions that affect you.  There are many videos of young people talking about their experiences.

    Click here for the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) website This website has been created by young people with experience of accessing the CAMHS.

    Check out CAMHS Youtube Podcasts  by clicking this link.

  • Making Decisions

    Click here to access a Mental Capacity Act easy read booklet gives information on a law called the Mental Capacity Act (2005).

  • Help with Problem Solving

    Click to access a CEREBRA toolkit which helps to support disabled people and carers, as well as their families and advisers, who are encountering difficulties with the statutory agencies in relation to the provision of health, social care and education support services. This toolkit aims to unpick these problems and to develop effective strategies for resolving them.

  • Transition to Adulthood advice

    The Transition Information Network (TIN) is a group of organisations and individuals who come together with a common aim: to improve the experience of disabled young peoples’ transition to adulthood. TIN is a source of information and good practice standards for disabled young people, families and professionals.

    You can also visit MENCAP’s page Transitioning to Adulthood

  • Higher Education advice

    This is A guide for disabled people thinking about studying in higher education. It deals with common questions such as whether the college or university will be accessible, how to choose a course and what support will be available. It also covers the student finance system and has current  information on tuition fees, repayment methods and the support that will be in place.

  • Advice on Work

    Supported internships can be a good way of having a study programme that helps you to get a job. What makes them different is that you do most of your learning at work and some in college. This means you can ‘learn on the job’.

    Work Choice can give you support to get a job and keep it. It can help you if you are disabled and have had problems finding work. This Work Choice easy read guide explains.

    Access to Work is help you can get from the Government to do your job. You can get this help if you are disabled or need support with your health condition. This Access to work easy read guide explains.  Find out more about Access to Work 

    Employability Support provides mentoring and training to help you into work if you’re disabled and can’t use other employment programmes. 

    Into Apprenticeships is a new guide for disabled people, parents and key advisers about applying for apprenticeships in England. It deals with common questions such as how to find an apprenticeship, whether the training will be accessible and what support is available in the workplace.


  • Money & Benefits

    Make sure you are getting the support you’re entitled to with our advice and information:

    Mencap Benefits and Money Advice 

    Scope has an extensive website with lots of useful information:

    Please see section below about Personal Budgets.


  • Ambitious About Autism

    Are you aged 16 – 25 and on the spectrum? Growing up’s hard enough and when you throw autism into the mix, it can complicate things. Don’t worry – we’re here to help. We are a group of 16-25 year olds with autism, and we want to share what we’ve learned about dealing with the everyday challenges this can bring. Click here to link to the website:

    Ambitious About Autism YouTube channel: Click here to link to the channel.

  • All About Me!

    You can use this booklet to quickly tell other people about yourself. You could give it to your support worker at home; your learning assistant or teacher at school; or nurses and doctors. Click here to access the booklet.

    This booklet and the accompanying set of pdf factsheets have been designed to help young people with Multi-Sensory Impairment (MRI) and their families, achieve a smooth and successful transition. Click here to access the resources via Sense.


  • How CAMHS Works in Luton

    CAMHS in Luton – offer a comprehensive stepped model of mental health care, implementing the national THRIVE model (see below).

    Getting Advice and Getting Help – these include:

    An on line support service for children and young people- KOOTH

    ELFT CAMH Access Services—Bedfordshire (working with all schools and GP Practices)

    CHUMS and TOKKO mental health support services (for mild to moderate mental problems requiring brief intervention)

    Cases are stepped down and up in our CAMHS multi-agency (ELFT, CHUMS, TOKKO) pathway according to the needs of the child, young person and family. We at CAMHS will ensure this happens, seamlessly. 

    The CAMHS Pathway explained: 

    We have a 24/7 crisis pathway, which can be accessed by young people and families: 

    By contacting CAMHS during office hours on 01525 638613/14

    By phoning 111 Option 2 to access the CAMHS Crisis team, or

    Going to A+E at the Luton and Dunstable Hospital

    If you are unsure whether it is a crisis or not, you can call the CAMHS Luton number between 9-5pm, and for the latter, ask to speak to our Clinician of the Day.

    If you want to self refer, you can access the referral form below.

    If you would like to, you can also access our services via your GP, where we have our Primary Care Access Service working with all 25 GP practices across Luton, each having a link named clinician, also with their dedicated GP Helpline for primary care staff.

    You may also want to speak with your child’s school/college who may also have direct links to CAMHS.

The SEND law

The Government has made some changes to how children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and their families, are supported. These changes are in Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014.

This document is the DFE easy read guide for children and Young people to the changes. If you are a child or a young person who has a learning disability, this guide will help you to understand them.

This Special educational needs and disability support video on youtube also explains how the new law will affect you

The Care Act

There were a lot of different laws on care and support. This made it difficult to know what care and support you could get.

The Care Act 2014 brings them together, to make just one new law instead.

The Care Act 2014 is mainly about people who are 18 and over and need care and support. This document is an Easy read guide to the Care Act 2014.

Personal Budgets 

As part of the EHC Plan, some young people are able to receive a personal budget.

A personal budget is money you get from the Local Authority to pay for things you need or may want. The money is to help you achieve your aspirations for the future.

This video was created to help explain what a personal budget is and how you can get one:

Personal Budgets explained

Autism Bedfordshire Information for Adults

Check out the link below